Bread & Cup
On the Corner of 8th & S in the Haymarket
Thursday at 7:30 pm
March 6, 2008
The Bread & Cup has “an uncomplicated menu in an uncluttered space. Soup created from fresh, basic ingredients instead of a frozen bag. Bread made by a baker who will explain to you the finer points of baking. Wine that makes you contemplate becoming a poet.” And good beer on tap!
Congratulations go out to Mark Beatty for winning yesterday’s Beer Quest Beers of the UK public competition. Mark won with a really tasty Irish Red Ale. It wasn’t easy as both Mitch Larsen’s Summer ESB and Josh Ames’ Oatmeal Stout were in close contention.
See all the scores at http://www.telesis-inc.com/empyrean/bqscores.html
To be honest I believe this is the first Beer Quest where the 2nd place beer actually received more 9 and 10 rankings than the winner. Mark got 332 of his 726 total points from 9 and 10 rankings. Mitch got 387 of his 700 points from 9 and 10 rankings. As we all know total points take the day and Mark received the lowest number of 1 and 2 rankings and the highest number of points from 3 – 8 rankings.
Sorry – I’m just spouting nonsensical numbers, must be an election year! Bottom line any of the 10 finalist beers could’ve won and any of them wouldíve made a great seasonal brew for us.
It just so happens that the only Irish style won the day and it will be tapped just in time for St. Pats on the 17th (if all goes well it will be on tap at Lazlo’s and FireWorks on the 13th of March.) From a marketing standpoint it’s as if the planets have aligned.
Our next Beer Quest WILL be for IPA (hops shortage be damned) – there will be SOME restrictions on variety of hops – at this time I’m unsure but we may have to limit the amount of hops we will provide each brewer – that’s all I’ll say until I’m for sure.
Registration forms for the IPA Beer Quest will be posted on the web Friday afternoon 2/22 and deadline for entry will be Friday 2/29.
Schedule and registration forms will be posted on this page http://www.telesis-inc.com/empyrean/beerquest.html
Thanks to all of you who have helped make this the coolest little beer event between the Mississippi and the Rockies!
INDIA PALE ALE REGISTRATIONS OPEN: Friday, 2/22/08
Event Date: Sunday, 5/18/08
- American Homebrewers Association
- Benson Homebrew Club – Benson (Omaha), NE
- Brauer Unterstützungs Verein – Omaha, NE
- Kansas City Biermeisters
- L.A.G.E.R.S. – Louisville, KY
- Local 402 Brewers Union – Omaha, NE
- OmaHops Brewing Club – Omaha NE
- Railroaders Brew Club – Omaha, NE
- South Omaha Brewers – Omaha, NE
- Benson Brewery – Omaha, NE
- Borgata Brewery & Distillery – Omaha, NE
- Farnam House Brewing Co. – Omaha, NE
- Gottberg Brewery & Pub – Columbus, NE
- Infusion Brewing Co. – Omaha, NE
- Jaipur Brewing Company – Omaha, NE
- Lucky Bucket Brewing – Omaha, NE
- Nebraska Brewing Company – Omaha, NE
- Schilling Bridge Brewery & Winery – Pawnee City, NE
- Scratchtown Brewing – Ord, NE
- Spilker Ales – Cortland, NE
- Thunderhead Brewing – Kearney, NE
- Upstream Brewing Co. – Omaha, NE